Turkish authorities continue manhunt for the nightclub killer

World Today

Turkish authorities continue manhunt for the nightclub killer

Turkish police have released new images of the man they said killed 39 people in a New Year’s nightclub attack while more raids in and around Istanbul have been carried out.

Turkish officials said authorities have fingerprints from the main suspect and vow to spare no effort to apprehend him.

CGTN’s Natalie Carney reports. Follow Natalie Carney on Twitter @NatalieCarney77

Turkish authorities continue manhunt for the nightclub killer

Turkish authorities continue manhunt for the nightclub killer

Turkish police have released new images of the man they said killed 39 people in a New Year’s nightclub attack while more raids in and around Istanbul have been carried out. Turkish officials said authorities have fingerprints from the main suspect and vow to spare no effort to apprehend him. CGTN’s Natalie Carney reports.

Authorities have been on the hunt for the mass killer since he allegedly took the lives of 39 people at Istanbul’s Reina nightclub, only an hour into the New Year.

Originally from Central Asia, the alleged assailant is said to have entered Turkey from Syria and spent time in the central Turkish Province of Konya with his wife and two children, before coming to Istanbul to carry out the attack.

On Tuesday, Turkish police arrested two foreign nationals at Istanbul’s main Ataturk Airport, while many others have been detained in raids across the city for questioning.

ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was in response to Turkey’s military involvement in Syria.

But the Turkish government has pledged to continue its fight against terrorism both at home and abroad.

Turkish troops entered Northern Syria as part of operation Euphrates Shield in August, with the aim of ridding the border region of terrorist elements, including ISIL.

Yet, Ankara has been angered by what it perceives to be a lack of support from Western allies in that fight.

The Turkish military said 22 ISIL terrorists were killed and 111 ISIL targets hit in air and ground operations in Northern Syria, within 24 hours of the Jan. 1 attack.

Meanwhile, back in Istanbul, hundreds gathered at the Reina nightclub to condemn the attack, holding a banner reading “We will not give up, this is for our future.”

Funerals continue across the city, while many of the dead and injured foreigners have been flown home.

Since the failed coup attempt over the summer, Turkey has been under a state of emergency, allowing security forces greater powers. Originally meant to last three months, the recent string of terrorist attacks across the country has prompted the government to extend the State of Emergency as long as needed.


Turkish people struggle with terror, while gov’t fights threat

During the last days of 2016, many Turks shared a common wish for the New Year, an end to terrorism and a peaceful 2017. That did not happen. Citizens were devastated as their new year wishes had already been crushed.

CGTN’s Michal Bardavid reports. Follow Michal Bardavid on Twitter @michal_bardavid

Turkish people struggle with terror, while gov’t fights threat

Turkish people struggle with terror, while gov’t fights threat

During the last days of 2016, many Turks shared a common wish for the New Year, an end to terrorism and a peaceful 2017. That did not happen. Citizens were devastated as their new year wishes had already been crushed. CGTN’s Michal Bardavid reports.

Many of those killed were foreigners, another blow to the tourism industry in Turkey which was already suffering.

Since mid-2015, Turkey has been victim to many acts of terrorism, including suicide attacks, car bombings and gunmen spraying bullets. This has had psychological effects on many civilians in Turkey who are concerned and frustrated.

The Turkish government aims to bring back a sense of security to the country – with the Deputy Prime Minister emphasizing they are “determined to continue our cross-border operations until terrorist organizations can no longer harm Turkey”.