The suspect in the killing of three Royal Canadian Mounted Police was arrested unarmed early Friday, ending a massive manhunt that paralyzed much of an eastern Canadian city. “I’m done,” a witness said he told police.
Police said at a press conference that they received a tip that led them to a wooded residential part of Moncton, New Brunswick, where they found 24-year-old Justin Bourque, suspected in the deadliest attack on Canada’s national police force in nearly a decade.
Bourque had been armed with high-powered long firearms and had been spotted three times Thursday, eluding the massive manhunt that all but shut down the normally tranquil city about of about 60,000 people east of the Maine border.
Nearly 300 police officers were involved in the search for Bourque, who was seen going in and out of a wooded area. CCTV’S Kristiaan Yeo reports from Toronto.