Toddler healthy after operation to remove partial chopstick in head

World Today

A small boy in Chaoyang City in Northeast China’s Liaoning province underwent an operation Tuesday to remove a 6-centimeter (2.4-inch) chopstick that accidentally got stuck in his head for ten days.

Doctors at the Shengjing Hospital of the China Medical University said the boy, who is nearly 2 years old, was admitted for a brain infection. His parents said the boy accidentally fell and got a chopstick stuck in his nose while he was eating on Jan. 27, 2015. They took out the chopstick and took him to the hospital where doctors did not require an X-ray examination and told the family to keep the boy under observation at home.

Ten days later, the boy started to show symptoms of mental fatigue and drowsiness and the parents took him to the hospital for further examination. After taking an X-ray, they discovered that part of the chopstick was still lodged inside the boy.

“Half of the chopstick was totally stuck in his head from his nose. They only took out half of the chopstick and the other half was still stuck in it,” said Li Shaoyi, the attending doctor at Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University.

After the operation, the boy’s condition improved significantly. However, the chopstick caused a serious infection in his head that requires him to stay in the hospital for further treatment.

“It did not affect him much. His body move or language ability was all functional. That is why his family did not realize. It coincidentally stuck in the non-functional area,” Li added.

Story is compiled with information from CCTV News.