As drug-related violence claims lives in Mexico, the governments of the United States and Mexico are keeping an eye on emerging drug trafficking organizations.
CCTV America’s Franc Contreras filed this report from Mexico.
New Generation Jalisco drug cartel spreads through MexicoAs drug-related violence claims lives in Mexico, the governments of the United States and Mexico are keeping an eye on emerging drug trafficking organizations. CCTV America's Franc Contreras filed this report from Mexico.
- Mexico’s western state of Jalisco is a hot-spot for drug-related violence, much of it perpetrated by an armed group called the New Generation Jalisco cartel.
- A New Generation cartel’s April 6th attack was a military-style ambush that killed 15 Jalisco state police. Security experts said they used a Barrett, anti-tank rifles and grenades against the unsuspecting police convoy.
- On March 19, in Ocotlan, Jalisco, they killed five federal police officers.
- The armed group has expanded far outside Jalisco. State officials said it now has international ties. Mexico’s government is closely monitoring this emerging criminal group.
- The United States government has placed the Jalisco New Generation Cartel on the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin List, giving the U.S. the right to seize cartel’s properties and other assets. This also prohibits U.S. citizens from doing business with the organization.
- The New Generation Jalisco Cartel now controls the Port of Manzanillo, and parts of Michoacan state.