Search continues for dozens after devastating Shenzhen landslide

World Today

Photo from CFP

More than 4,000 rescuers were still racing against time Tuesday to search for signs of life in the debris of the aftermath of a devastating landslide in south China’s Shenzhen.

Two were discovered around 3AM local time. CCTV reports that one of them is conscious. A man with the surname Lin, is a 19 year old from Chongqing.

The number of missing has dropped to 76 from 91, as some who were previously reported missing have been contacted, authorities said on Tuesday afternoon.

The name list of the missing was made public on Tuesday. The majority come from Guangdong and central China’s Henan and Hunan provinces.

The body of a male victim was retrieved from the debris early Tuesday. “We detected vital signs several times, but our utmost efforts were in vain,” said Yao Yingzheng, a firefighter who participated in pulling out the first victim.

“We felt disheartened when doctors claimed him dead,” he said. “But as long as there are vital signs, we will try our best.”

Firefighters and firehouse dogs were resting on the ground after spending nearly the whole night on rescue work.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The waste dump was ordered closed five months ago, according to the South China Morning Post. Chinese authorities said the official focus was currently on the search and rescue of trapped victims, and were not yet looking into the possible causes of the landslide.

“After repeated verifications, 15 of the 91 people originally reported missing have been contacted. The drop from the number 91 to 76 signifies that the rescue work has been highly responsible. Whenever there is related information (on missing people), it is added to the missing list,”

The information of the already-identified 73 will be released after the press briefing, and authorities were still identifying the remaining two men and one woman among the missing.

Landslide buries 33 buildings in South China

About 33 buildings collapsed during a landslide at an industrial park in Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province of south China

Shenzhen Deputy Mayor Liu Qingsheng said four methods were being used to identify the missing people.

“First, we compare and verify people’s identity by using the information from nearby businesses and rental rooms. Second, people on site or nearby are interviewed for verification. Third, we review the list of people living at the landslide site and nearby buildings. Fourth, the police authorities will further verify the names and places of domicile of people already confirmed missing,” he said.

Meanwhile rescue operation at the landslide site were still underway in the dim light of night.

Aerial View of Shenzhen Landslide Aftermath

Sunday's landslide buried 33 buildings of an industrial park in Shenzhen City, south China's Guangdong Province, according to local authorities.

The disaster occurred around 11:40 a.m. local time Sunday at the Hengtaiyu industrial park after a huge pile of construction waste slid down a hill. About 900 people have been evacuated and at least 16 were hospitalized, including a 7-year-old. All were said to be in stable condition.

The first body in the landslide was retrieved from the debris Tuesday morning.

Compiled from Xinhua and CCTV NewsContent wires.