CGTN is looking for correspondent to be based in Cuba.
Cuba is at a crossroads, for the first time in almost 60 years there will not be a Castro as head of state. A major generational change is underway which could mean significant reforms in the coming years.
At the same time Cuba’s closest ally Venezuela can no longer provide the economic assistance it once did while in the USA President Trump is rolling back the Obama era détente.
Cuba CGTN Correspondent Responsibilities:
- A Cuba correspondent primary role will involve covering the political and economic developments and placing them in their geopolitical and historical context
- Cuba is also a unique country with a rich social and cultural diversity, from its health care and education systems to old cars, music, dance, cigars and rum. This job requires a self-starter with an eye for a good story who can generate news and feature ideas
- Must be able to communicate and produce material in English. A working knowledge of Spanish is essential.
- Cuba is also a complex and challenging place to live and work and relationship building is important, especially with the Cuban press authorities whose permission is needed to access anyone employed by the state
- Must work closely with Director of News and Managing Editors (who are based in Washington D.C.), to craft short and long form story ideas
- Must have at least 6-8 years network or major market newsgathering experience
- Maintain excellent oral and written communication skills
- Possess an understanding of and appreciation for a multi-national, multi-cultural work environment
- Have and maintain a clear understanding of how social media is used to cover and influence news events
- Interest in China and Asia Pacific a plus
- International news gathering and television field experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
** Please Send a Reel/ Sample of Work **
** This Position is based in Cuba**
TO APPLY SUBMIT RESUME TO: firstname.lastname@example.org