It cost about $200 million to make. But in just over two weeks Marvel Studio’s Black Panther is setting new box office records, cruising past $704 million en route to over a billion in ticket sales.
But for many, Black Panther can’t be judged merely by profits alone.
CGTN’s May Lee explains that the film is seen as something much greater – a groundbreaking celebration of black culture.
- Wilson Morales is a film critic and the editor-in-chief for blackfilm.com.
- Yesha Callahan is the deputy managing editor of TheRoot.com – an online magazine focusing on African American and popular culture.
- Melina Abdullah is professor and chair of Pan-African Studies at California State University in Los Angeles.
The Academy Awards will be handed out in Hollywood this weekend.
CGTN’s Phil Lavelle takes a look at some of this year’s nominees.
- Wilson Morales is a film critic the editor-in-chief for blackfilm.com.
- Mae Abdulbaki is a film critic and entertainment journalist.
Black Panther's Chadwick Boseman: 'Everybody’s minds are opening up' https://t.co/dmMi8FWCOB
— The Guardian (@guardian) February 15, 2018
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) February 28, 2018
— Business Insider (@businessinsider) March 1, 2018