One year after white supremacist rally turned deadly in US, another march planned for DC

Latest News

One year after white supremacist rally turned deadly in US, another march planned for DC

In the U.S., a year after a white supremacist rally and counter-protests turned deadly, the city of Charlottesville braces for violence.

A state-of-emergency is in effect. Smaller demonstrations have already taken place, as well as ceremonies to honor the victims.

All of this ahead of larger rallies planned in Washington, D.C. on Sunday.

CGTN’s Roee Ruttenberg reports.

More than a thousand police officers are now patrolling the streets of Charlottesville. They were criticized last year for not being adequately prepared.

The city’s police chief says no violence will be tolerated this time around. But she’s taking no chances. Pedestrian areas have already been blocked off from traffic. So, no vehicle access.

And last week, Virginia’s governor declared a state of emergency across the state. That allows him to easily deploy resources as needed.

The University of Virginia on Saturday held a service of reflection to mark one year since the Unite the Right rally.

There was a lot of focus on Heather Heyer. She’s the 32 year old woman who came out to protest against the white nationalists, and was killed after the march when a speeding car rammed the crowd.

Heye’s mother says her legacy should serve as a call to action.

City officials denied the organizers of last year’s march a permit request to hold the Unite the Right 2 rally in Charlottesville.

But the District of Columbia, Washington, DC – did allow them. So that will happen on Sunday, near the White House. Hundreds of white nationalists are expected to take part.

And around 2,000 counter protesters are also expected at counter rallies nearby.