Turkey and Saudi Arabia said they will work together to find out what happened to a missing Saudi critic and journalist. Jamal Khashoggi vanished after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul more than a week ago and is feared dead.
CGTN’s Guy Henderson reports.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s personal bodyguards were reportedly in Istanbul last week. That’s the claim made by Turkish film director Kemal Ozturk’s pro-government newspaper, Yeni Safak, on Thursday.
Ozturk’s upcoming article will be about an alleged audio recording of what Turkish authorities believe is the hit squad that murdered Khashoggi.
“The Turkish investigators have a sound recording where the 15-people execution team is talking about the way they are going to proceed to kill him. This is the main detail and evidence about how they did it,” Ozturk said.
The leaks from Turkish government sources paint a picture that involves a team of Saudi assassins arriving in Turkey on October 2nd, the same day Khashoggsi was killed.
They reportedly drove into the Saudi consulate ahead of the renowned commentator’s arrival, and left carrying him or his body. This is believed to have occurred while his fiancee waited outside.
Saudi Arabia officials called the allegations “baseless and outrageous.”
The leaks have slowed down in recent days in a sign that Ankara hopes Riyadh might change its approach.
But on Wednesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan again called on Saudi officials to prove Khashoggi left the consulate alive.
Meanwhile, Washington has been critical of Saudi Arabia but still says calling off its lucrative arms deals with the region isn’t an option.
“They are spending $110 billion purchasing military equipment and other things. If we don’t sell it to them, they’ll say ‘well thank you very much, we’ll buy it from Russia. Or thank you very much, we’ll buy it from China.’ That doesn’t help us not when it comes to jobs and when it comes to our companies losing out on work. But there are other things we can do,” U.S. President Donald Trump said.
The U.S. approach continues to anger many Turks, though some hope Washington’s stance will change.