It’s been a chaotic day in Washington, D.C. as members of the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate gathered to certify the U.S. Presidential Election. But that process was interrupted, when Trump supporters stormed the steps of the capitol building. The capitol was put on lock-down, as police attempted to secure the building and move lawmakers to safety. Earlier, President Trump addressed the crowds, repeating claims of a stolen election.
CGTN’s Nathan King reports.
Joining the panel:
- Bill Crane is the principal of CSI Crane and a political analyst.
- Christopher Hahn is the host of the “Aggressive Progressive” podcast and the syndicated “Chris Hahn Radio Show.”
- Christopher Harris is the Executive Director of UnhyphenatedAmerica.org
- Katie Barlow is the host of Words Matter podcast and the Founder and Co-editor of the DC Circuit Breaker.
AP Morning Wire:
• Violent pro-Trump mob storms US Capitol in bid to overturn election.
• Congress confirms Biden won; Trump: 'There will be an orderly transition.'
• Biden urges restoring decency.
• World leaders appalled by US rioting.https://t.co/KeUrNTlWJV pic.twitter.com/ukNzjhiyYc
— The Associated Press (@AP) January 7, 2021
Vice President Mike Pence, not President Donald Trump, helped facilitate the decision to mobilize members of the DC National Guard when violence at the US Capitol building started to escalate https://t.co/z2ezfQZTf2 pic.twitter.com/ArOqHKtAGm
— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) January 7, 2021
— CGTN (@CGTNOfficial) January 7, 2021