US will continue to command forces in South Korea in event of war

World Today

U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and South Korean Defense Minister Han Min-koo announced that the United States will continue to command forces in Korea in the event of war, following talks at the Pentagon on Thursday to map out the future of their military cooperation. CCTV America’s Jim Spellman reports.

US will continue to command forces in South Korea in event of war

US will continue to command forces in South Korea in event of war

U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and South Korean Defense Minister Han Min-koo announced that the United States will continue to command forces in Korea in the event of war, following talks at the Pentagon on Thursday to map out the future of their military cooperation. CCTV America's Jim Spellman reports.

The two leaders said that operation control, also known as “Op Con”, of troops in the Republic of Korea in wartime would continue under U.S. authority. Transfer to South Korean control had been planned for next year, but U.S. and Republic of Korea officials agreed that the forces weren’t ready.

“While this agreement will delay the scheduled transfer of operational control, it will ensure that when the transfer does occur, Korean forces have the necessary capabilities to address an intensifying threat to North Korea,” Hagel said.

The two sides agreed to a plan to shift control to Republic of Korea commanders in 2020, if certain military goals are met.

The ROK is also constructing a missile-based defense system known as a “Kill-Chain” that would be able to target and destroy Democratic People’s Republic of Korea military bases that launch attacks.

For more on the military talks between the U.S. and the Republic of Korea, CCTV America interviewed Raymond Tanter, a professor of political science and a former member of the National Security Council.

Raymond Tanter of Georgetown University discusses talks between US, South Korea

Raymond Tanter of Georgetown University discusses talks between US, South Korea

For more on the military talks between the U.S. and the Republic of Korea, CCTV America interviewed Raymond Tanter, a professor of political science, and a former member of the National Security Council in the Reagan-Bush White House.