One of the 498 people injured in a water park blaze on Saturday night in New Taipei City, Taiwan died in hospital on Monday.
The 20-year-old woman, surnamed Lee, suffered burns to 90 percent of her body, according to Chung Shan Medical University Hospital in the island’s Taichung city.
The fire was sparked by an accidental explosion of colored theatrical powder sprayed from the stage at about 1,000 people. An event called “Color Play Asia” was being held at the park.
More than 400 people are hospitalized, with 200 in serious condition, according to local officials. Eight have suffered life-threatening injuries, local media said. The victims are being treated in 43 local hospitals.
The organizers of the event had reportedly decided to use carbon dioxide cylinders to spray the powder onto audiences. A still unknown heat source triggered the explosion.
A ban on colored powder at future events in the city has been announced. The water park has been ordered to close.