I have yet to be pregnant or experience morning sickness, but I have many friends who have. There are of course countless individual remedies for that nauseating feeling- but one comment I’ve heard for years now is “get me some watermelon!”
Not only is watermelon great for morning sickness, but it also helps with bloating because it’s a natural diuretic and has fiber.
Here’s one of my favorite summer salads that expectant mothers will be able to keep down!
Watermelon, Arugula, Feta and Mint Salad
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly and halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ripe seedless watermelon, cut into thin triangles
- 1 1/2 cups arugula, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped and loosely packed
- 1/3 cup crumbled pasteurized feta cheese
In a serving bowl, combine the onion, lime juice, olive oil, and olives, and mix until combined and the onions are coated.
Let stand for 15 minutes.
Add the watermelon, arugula, mint and feta. Toss so the dressing coats the lettuce and serve.
Life Recipes is published in conjunction with Inside & Out — a new series by Global Business America focusing on what’s making news in health and business.