China condemns terror attacks in Afghanistan

World Today

man cleans up broken glass An Afghan man cleans up broken glass near the site of suicide attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2016. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

China on Tuesday condemned the bombing attacks which killed dozens of people in Kabul, capital city of Afghanistan in the last two days.

Hua Chunying, spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry made the remarks at a regular press briefing in Beijing.

She said that China opposes, as always, all forms of terrorism. She extended condolences to the victims and conveyed sympathy to the families of the victims and the injured.

“China always believes that promoting the Afghanistan reconciliation process led and owned by the Afghan people is the only ultimate way out of the Afghanistan issue. As a friendly neighbor of Afghanistan, China sincerely hopes that Afghanistan could realize peace, stability and development as early as possible,” said Hua.

Four bombing attacks have occurred in Kabul in the last two days killing dozens of civilians.

The most recent of which, militants stormed a building housing an international aid organization in Kabul, provoking an overnight firefight with security forces in which three gunmen were killed and six civilians were wounded, Afghan officials said Tuesday.

site of suicide attack in Kabul

Afghan security members inspect at the site of suicide attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2016. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

An Afghan Interior Ministry statement said that a suicide car bombing struck close to a building belonging to the charity CARE International in Shar-e Naw late Monday night, after which three more attackers entered the building.

The attack took place a day after twin bombings near the Afghan Defense Ministry killed at least 35 people and wounded more than 100 others.

Afghan security personnel

Afghan security personnel arrive at the site of a twin suicide bombing near the Ministry of Defense in Kabul on September 5, 2016. (AFP PHOTO / WAKIL KOHSAR)

Police special forces killed all three gunmen involved in an overnight attack in the Shar-e Naw district of the Afghan capital, Sediq Sediqqi, a spokesman for the Afghan interior minister said.

Six civilians were wounded in the attack, according to the Interior Ministry.

It initially said one civilian had been killed but a later statement clarified that only three militants had died.

Afghan security personnel

Afghan security personnel walk at the site of a car bomb blast that targeted the CARE International compound at Shar-e-Naw in Kabul on September 6, 2016. (AFP PHOTO / WAKIL KOHSAR)

Taliban militants fighting the government to regain power have claimed responsibility for twin blasts that went off near the fortified defense ministry on Monday claiming 24 lives besides injuring 91 others including security personnel and civilians.


Faisel Pervaiz on Afghanistan bombings

For more on Afghanistan bombings, CCTV America’s Elaine Reyes spoke to Faisel Pervaiz, South Asia analyst at Stratfor.