Joint U.S.-ROK military exercises will continue despite a new missile test by the DPRK. The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea says the tests of three missiles were successful.
The U.S. says one missile exploded shortly after liftoff and the others flew into the East Sea.
They end a month-long pause in the DPRK’s missile tests.
CGTN’s Toby Muse reports.
Japan says the test-launch of three short-range ballistic missiles by the DPRK, posed no direct threat to the country.
The DPRK launched the missiles early Saturday morning. Two flew about 250 kilometers in a northeastern direction before splashing down while one exploded immediately after blastoff, according to the U.S. Pacific Command.
The Republic of Korea’s presidential office guessed the DPRK was testing its 300-millimeter artillery rocket system.
The launch comes as the ROK and the U.S. carry out joint military exercises, something Pyongyang has called an invasion rehearsal.
Earlier in August, Washington and the DPRK faced off, with Pyongyang threatening to launch missiles near the U.S. territory of Guam in the Pacific Ocean.
However, the latest missiles did not head toward Guam. Instead, they headed east, toward Japan.
Earlier this month, President Donald Trump threatened “fire and fury” on the DPRK if it attacked the U.S. or its allies. The White House has yet to issue a response to the latest test.
Both China and Russia have urged a diplomatic exit to the crisis. Tensions between the US and DPRK had eased until Saturday’s launch.
Britain’s Minister of State for Asia and the Pacific, Mark Field, was in the ROK to discuss threats posed by the DPRK to regional and global security.
He visited the demilitarized zone along the border just a few hours after this latest launch. British troops are also participating in the joint military drills with the ROK and the US.
Following this latest test by the DPRK, diplomats are undoubtedly in serious talks to resolve the crisis.