China warned the U.S. on Friday that it is “fully prepared to fight back” if President Donald Trump imposes an additional $100 billion on Chinese goods.
President Trump called China’s retaliation against U.S. tariffs “unfair” on Thursday, saying he was considering another wave of tariffs on Chinese goods.
China’s Commerce Ministry spokesman, Gao Feng, called the U.S. action “extremely mistaken” and unjustified, adding that the spat was a struggle between unilateralism and multilateralism.
He also said no negotiations were likely in the current circumstances.
Listen to the full remarks of China’s Commerce Ministry spokesman, Gao Feng, here:
China’s Foreign Ministry Spokersperson Lu Kang also echoed similar remarks as the commerce of ministry, saying “China will fight back at any cost.”
You can catch China’s Foreign Ministry Spokersperson Lu Kang’s full remarks here:
Earlier this week, the U.S. released a list of over 1,300 Chinese items valued at $50 billion set to be targeted by additional tariffs, despite Beijing’s opposition and condemnation.
In retaliation, China imposed tariffs on 106 U.S. good, ranging from soybeans, pork, and beef.
China said it was not afraid of a trade war, even though it did not seek one, and accused the United States of provoking the conflict.
Story by CGTN, with some information from Reuters.