Widespread disruptions reported as Congo elects new president

World Today

Widespread disruptions reported as Congo elects new presidentVoters queue to cast their ballots at a symbolic polling station on December 30, 2018, at Malepe Stadium in Beni, where voting was postponed for Democratic Republic of Congo’s general elections. (Photo by ALEXIS HUGUET / AFP)

In the Democratic Republic of Congo, millions cast ballots in what’s expected to be the first peaceful transfer of power since independence in 1960. But the vote has been marred by a series of delays, leaving many frustrated.

CGTN’s Chris Ocamringa reports from Kinshasa.

Election observers reported multiple problems around the vast Central African nation, which is choosing a successor to President Joseph Kabila after his 17 years in power. The election had been delayed since late 2016, prompting the opposition to charge that Kabila was trying to stay on past his mandate.

While many polls closed in the evening, others stayed open to allow those waiting in line to cast their ballots and at least one polling station was just getting ready to open.

The voting center at Les Anges school in Kinshasa had not opened during the day because it did not have battery cables to power the voting machines and the center did not have a voters’ roll. The station finally got what it needed and was getting ready to open for voting after official closing time. Election officials said they would stay open until everyone in line had voted. As darkness began to fall an electricity generator was set up to help people vote in darkness.

Other polling stations had closed and the counting of ballots had begun. Official results are to be announced by Jan. 15, although preliminary results are expected earlier than that.

Among some 21 candidates, top opposition leaders Martin Fayulu and Felix Tshisekedi are challenging Kabila’s preferred successor, former interior minister Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, who is under European Union sanctions for a crackdown on people protesting delays to the election.

Tshisekedi, after casting his ballot, said some polling stations in Kinshasa, the capital, had not even opened six hours after voting began. He accused Congo’s government of deliberately creating an election day mess to spark a court challenge that could allow Kabila to extend his time in power.

“I deplore all the disorder,” Tshisekedi said, calling Kabila’s government “responsible for this mess.”

The voting machines that Congo was using for the first time posed a special problem. The opposition has warned that the machines could be used to manipulate the vote. Many of the country’s 40 million voters have never used a computer, and electricity is limited.

The Catholic church’s election observer mission said it had received 544 reports of malfunctioning voting machines. It also reported 115 cases of election observers being kicked out of polling centers or not being allowed access, as well as 44 cases of vote-buying or corruption.

Nearly 50 polling stations in Kinshasa were idle for hours because lists of registered voters had not been delivered, electoral commission chief Corneille Nangaa told The Associated Press. The sprawling city is an opposition stronghold.

Nangaa brought some lists to polling stations himself, amid angry shouts of “We wanted to vote!” from people waiting in long lines. Dozens of young men decided to practice voting, piling ballots in a basket. Others, discouraged, walked away. Once lists were delivered, crowds rushed to vote.

Another observer group, Symotel, reported a multitude of problems including the movement of polling stations to new locations at the last minute. Confused voters didn’t know where to go.

“We knew there would be issues, but this is way beyond what we expected,” spokesman Luc Lutala said.

At stake is a country rich in minerals including those crucial to the world’s smartphones and electric cars, and yet Congo remains desperately underdeveloped with widespread corruption and insecurity.

Election unrest had been feared after a last-minute decision to bar an estimated 1 million people from voting because of a deadly Ebola virus outbreak in the east. The decision was widely criticized as threatening the credibility of the election and putting health workers in danger as people protest.

Voting in the Ebola-affected cities of Beni and Butembo was delayed until March, long after Congo’s new leader will be inaugurated in January.

On Sunday, well over 10,000 people lined up in Beni to stage their own election , vowing to deliver the results to the electoral commission. People cast paper ballots and sang in Swahili, “Voting is our right and nobody can stop us.”

They washed their hands before voting as a protection against Ebola, which is spread via infected bodily fluids. “We do not have Ebola. Kabila is worse than Ebola,” said Jacob Salamu, 24, who said he was voting for the first time.

Election day in the capital began with a heavy rainstorm that flooded some streets. Kabila and Shadary voted together.

Shadary called for “peace and calm,” adding that “I am very confident in victory.”

Fayulu, considered the leading candidate, later voted at the same polling station.

“Today we are writing the end of Kabila, the end of misery for Congolese people,” he said. “Congo will stop being the laughingstock of the world.”

An untold number of Congolese remained in line at poll-closing time, and by law would be able to vote. Although electoral officials had estimated that people could vote in under a minute, the process was taking several minutes or more per person.

Story by The Associated Press with additional information from CGTN.

Séverine Autesserre on Congo’s elections

CGTN’s Frances Kuo spoke with Séverine Autesserre about elections in Congo.
Autesserre is professor of political science at Barnard College, Columbia University. She is the author of ‘Peaceland’ and ‘The Trouble with the Congo.’