CGTN is looking for a full-time Business News Editor in Washington, D.C.
CGTN’s mission is to create quality news content in English that informs, entertains, and inspires. Our shows inform viewers about global news events that affect them. We entertain with originality. We explore the world from different points of view.
Reporting to the Executive Producer, News & Programming, the business editor will review copy for accuracy, clarity, balance, and fairness.
Accuracy is essential. This requires editing stories for information that should be there but isn’t. The business editor must be able to translate technical jargon into plain English. He, or she, will eliminate slang, idioms, clichés, and puns. Wordplay does not translate well across cultures.
Demonstrated expertise in writing for television, podcasts and digital/mobile platforms is preferred. Experience in data visualization (i.e., charts and tables) is desirable.
The business editor will help conceive, write, and/or refine business and economics stories on multiple-platforms—i.e., cable, web and mobile. He, or she, should have knowledge of global financial markets, monetary policy, macroeconomics, and trade.
A successful candidate must be a team player and exercise good editorial judgment under tight, rolling deadlines.
Please be familiar China’s socialist market economy in the past 40 years. An ideal candidate also will be acquainted with Western economic models from the Age of Exploration to the present, including mercantilism, Marxism, Keynesian macroeconomics and the “Chicago School’ (Milton Friedman, Eugene Fama, et al.).
It would help to understand the underlying causes of the 2008-2009 “Great Recession” and the issues facing nations as their economies attempt to recover from the pandemic.
- Review scripts for accuracy, fairness, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Content must be properly sourced.
- Make copy more engaging, conversational, and easy to understand. Anchor and correspondent scripts should free of slang, idioms, and industry jargon.
- Fact check program content, including graphics, charts, and lower thirds/straps. Revise or re-write scripts when necessary.
- Collaborate with Editorial Team members, and with other teams.
- Native English speaker.
- 2+ years of experience in business news preferred.
- Advanced skills in editing English for accuracy, balance, clarity, and appropriate style.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced and demanding 24-hour news environment.
- Must be flexible—editing general news as well as business, finance, and economic stories. The business editor will write/re-write scripts when necessary.
- Must work one weekend a month, and extended shifts when circumstances require—i.e., late breaking news stories.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field, i.e., political science, history, economics, business, finance
TO APPLY SUBMIT RESUME TO: email@example.com