President Muhammadu Buhari pledges extra security for schools in Nigeria’s northeast. He did so as he met with the Dapchi girls, who were abducted from their school more than a month ago.
They were released by Boko Haram militants this week.
CGTN’s Deji Badmus reports.
It was the first time the President would be meeting with the schoolgirls since they were released in the early hours of Wednesday.
And it was an elated President who addressed the girls and the nation pledging his government’s determination to avoid a repeat of this whole incident.
“I have tasked all the security agencies to work to ensure that we do not witness any reoccurrence of these incidents. Security chiefs have been warned in clear terms that any lapse on their parts will be viewed seriously,” Buhari announced.
And to girls specifically, he had this message. “We want to reassure you as our daughters that you will freely live and pursue your dreams in Nigeria of peace and order without fear of violence or molestation,” vowed the Nigerian president.
And then he had this to add for Boko Haram. “Government is ever ready to accept the unconditional laying down of arms by any member of the Boko Haram group who show strong commitment in that regard. We are ready to rehabilitate and integrate such repentant members into the larger society,” promised Buhari.
Earlier the head of the country’s secret police, the Department of State Services, had given a detailed breakdown of events leading to the release of the girls. He said no ransom was paid and that the incident offers the country an opportunity to end the Boko Haram insurgency through dialogue.
The government had confirmed that six of the girls are still unaccounted for and that it is in talks with Boko haram to secure their release. One of the released girls had earlier said five girls died while they were being taken away.
But the government has so far not confirmed that. The girls are expected to fully reunited wither families in the coming days.