The U.S. is reviving its Space Command.
The move will centralize all military space operations but stops short of creation of an independent space force.
CGTN’s Toby Muse reports.
Bolstering the U.S.’ space-fighting capacity, the Trump Administration is reviving the long-dormant Space Command. The plan was outlined on Tuesday by Vice President Mike Pence at the Kennedy Space Center in the state of Florida.
Space Command will bring together the space-related capabilities currently spread across the branches of the military. This reorganization and investment in the military’s massive space operations could cost $800 million over the next five years.
“Today, there are more than 18,000 military and civilian personnel working in space operations for our national security all across the Department of Defense, and at President Trump’s direction, the U.S. Space Command will integrate space capabilities across all branches of the military,” U.S. Vice President, Mike Pence, said.
Previously, President Donald Trump called for the creation of a U.S. Space Force, a new branch of the military, to operate alongside the Army, Navy Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. Space Command falls short of that, but the force would be used to carry out “joint space warfighting operations.”
Citing competition with China and Russia for dominance in space, Pence said the U.S. would aim to be as dominant in space as its military is on earth.
“It will develop the space doctrine, tactics techniques and procedures that will enable our war fighters to defend our nation in this new era,” said Mike Pence the U.S. Vice President.
Space Command was originally created under President Ronald Reagan in 1985 at the height of the rivalry with the USSR but as Cold War tensions dimmed, it was merged into the U.S. Strategic Command in 2002.
Trump plans to nominate a four-star general or admiral to lead the command, along with a deputy commander. Both of those posts will require Senate confirmation.