Tensions in the Middle East are high after drone attacks on two major oil facilities in Saudi Arabia.
The coordinated attacks knocked out half of the country’s oil capacity, more than 5 million barrels a day. Yemen’s Houthi rebels claimed responsibility, but the United States said its intelligence suggests Iran was behind the attack, something Tehran denies.
U.S. President Trump told reporters on Monday, he doesn’t want a war with Iran, after previously tweeting the U.S. was quote “locked and loaded.”
The Chinese Foreign Ministry is cautioning the international community to wait for conclusive facts before taking any action.
To discuss all of this:
- Kaveh Afrasiabi is an author, political scientist and Iranian affairs analyst.
- Hamoud Salhi is an Associate Dean of International Education at California State University, Dominguez Hills.
- Harlan Ullman is the chairman of the Killowen Group and senior adviser with the Atlantic Council.
- Ahmed Al-Ibrahim is a Saudi political and security analyst.
Watch: Saudi Arabian Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman announcing the return of Saudi oil supplies to their levels prior to the attack on Saudi oil facilities on Saturday at 3:43 am.https://t.co/RhxdyDodEG pic.twitter.com/nu6L8YDhqc
— Al Arabiya English (@AlArabiya_Eng) September 17, 2019
In the wake of this weekend’s unprovoked attack on several oil facilities in Saudi Arabia, I promise you: We’re ready. The US is prepared, we’re locked and loaded and we’re ready to defend our interests & our allies in the region. Make no mistake about it. https://t.co/THiXnlfxnz
— Vice President Mike Pence (@VP) September 17, 2019